Hillsdale College was founded as Michigan Central College in Spring Arbor, Michigan, in 1844. Nine years later it moved to Hillsdale and assumed its current name. As stated in its Articles of Association, the College undertakes its work “grateful to God for the inestimable blessings resulting from the prevalence of civil and religious liberty and intelligent piety in the land, and believing that the diffusion of sound learning is essential to the perpetuity of these blessings.”
Though established by Freewill Baptists, Hillsdale has been officially non-denominational since its inception. It was the first American college to prohibit in its charter any discrimination based on race, 宗教, 或性, and became an early force for the abolition of slavery. It was also the second college in the nation to grant four-year liberal arts degrees to women.
教授兼传教士兰森·邓恩, who would serve Hillsdale College for half a century, raised money to construct the new hilltop campus in the early 1850s by riding 6,000 miles on horseback on the Wisconsin and Minnesota frontier. It was largely through Dunn’s efforts that Hillsdale would survive while over 80 percent of colleges founded before the Civil War would not.
A higher percentage of Hillsdale students enlisted during the Civil War than from any other western college. Of the more than 400 who fought for the Union, four earned the Congressional Medal of Honor, 其中三人成为将军, and many more served as regimental commanders. 60人献出了生命.
Because of the College’s anti-slavery reputation and its role in founding the new Republican party (Professor Edmund Fairfield was a leader at the first convention), many notable speakers visited its campus during the Civil War era, including Frederick Douglass and Edward Everett, 谁在林肯之前在葛底斯堡.
Hillsdale’s modern rise to prominence occurred in the 1970s. On the pretext that some of its students were receiving federal loans, 卫生署, 教育, and Welfare attempted to interfere with the College’s internal affairs, including a demand that Hillsdale begin counting its students by race. Hillsdale’s trustees responded with two toughly worded resolutions: One, the College would continue its policy of non-discrimination. 两个, 在上帝的帮助下,它会“抵抗”, 通过一切合法手段, 任何侵犯其独立性的行为.”
Following almost a decade of litigation, the U.S. Supreme Court decided against Hillsdale in 1984. 这个时候, the College had announced that rather than complying with unconstitutional federal regulation, it would instruct its students that they could no longer bring federal taxpayer money to Hillsdale. Instead, the College would replace that aid with private contributions.
Hillsdale continues to carry out its original mission today, 无论是在课堂上还是在全国范围内, 通过它的许多外展项目, 包括每月的演讲摘要, 首先. A prayer written in the Bible that was placed inside the 1853 cornerstone of Central Hall reflects its continuing commitment: “May earth be better and heaven be richer because of the life and labor of Hillsdale College.”
The Hillsdale College coat of arms was initially proposed by the 澳门威尼斯官网赌博校友 Association.
Joseph Wolf of the Newberry Library in Chicago developed the College heraldry. 包括(从上到下):
- A rearing charger (the nickname of Hillsdale’s athletic teams)
- The helmet from the Blackmar coat of arms (referring to Esbon Blackmar, donor of the College’s original 25 acres)
- A seashell to commemorate the heroism of Charles V. Gridley during the Battle of Manila Bay in 1898
- 两个 crosses indicating the religious background of the school
- Crossed swords representing the magnificent role of Hillsdale College in the Civil War
澳门威尼斯官网赌博的校训, “病毒触手”,” translates “strength rejoices in the challenge” and is inscribed on the scroll at the base of the coat of arms.